Wednesday 9 July 2008

Hubert Mainwaring-B, 7th-8th July

My first few days with the Original Theatre Compnay are over and it has been an enthralling start to my time with them. However wet I may have got or however painful my blisters were it has definitely been worth it just to see this play and witness a completely different kind of energy stir from it each time the actors perform it. A definite highlight has to be the tremendous fights that break out as the four boys slowly become immersed in the characters they are playing. The anger that is etched into their faces and the thumps and cracks that are heard as the actors fall to the floor in 'pain' convince me that this is for real and that they have actually hurt themselves- thank god they haven't! This is Shakespeare as I have never seen it before and I cannot wait to get to Southwark. My job has been to assist the stage manager in setting up and taking down set and electrics. Merton Abbey Mills has been interesting, wet, unbearably tiring at times but incredibly enjoyable. Everyone works as a team here and this was apparent from the minute I arrived and joined the company. I have learnt how to avoid creating hazards while setting up, how to, at least, 'try' and sell tickets and how to avoid a tents collapse due to gallons of rain water collecting on top of it- a skill that wil be vital for me in the future! What a week it has been for me.

No comments: